How do I get my damage deposit returned?

September 9, 2011

Note that we are only able to return a security deposit to the party that paid it to us. This is to protect third and fourth parties from being liable for damages to the municipal infrastructure that the deposit is held against. We have a strict policy against signing deposit “Assignment” agreements as we will not enter into contractual relationships with anyone other than original purchasers.If you purchased your lot directly from the developer please fill out the “Request for landscaping inspection form” and fax or email it along with the rough grading certificate.
If you purchased your lot from a builder you must contact the builder to request an inspection and to receive the refund.If your lot in Southfort Estates, Meadows or Ridge received building permits from the City of Fort Saskatchewan after January 1, 2013 you do not have to provide a rough grading certificate.
Once we receive the  “Request for landscaping inspection form”  and the rough grading certificate (if required) we come out and inspect the property.Although the inspection is primarily to ensure landscaping is complete and adheres to the architectural controls of the area, it is a full inspection of the exterior of the home, and a property can fail the final inspection if any part of the exterior finishing is incomplete.

If the inspection fails, we will contact you, give you the reason and advise on how to address the issues. If the inspection passes our accounting department processes the refund of any remaining monies not applied toward damage invoices that have been sent out in the past.

If you have completed your building and landscaping very quickly, the deposit may be held until we have finished the Final Approval of Construction (FAC) process with the municipality. The FAC process usually takes place two years after the lots have been serviced. Although we try to keep these inspections occurring in a timely manner, timelines are subject to the availability of the approving municipality and delays can occur. The municipality identifies any damages to the municipal infrastructure that must be repaired, and also determines whether the damage is due to building activity (and thus is invoiced and/or deducted from the damage deposit) or if it is due to contractor deficiencies and thus is paid by the developer and/or contractor. We do our best to avoid any unnecessary or unreasonable delays, however, as per your purchase contract, we do have the right to hold the deposits until final damages are assessed and billed.